When I first got the Pine, I noticed in Battery Stats that there was a “Test Tools” process that would often consume a large percentage of battery. After a few charging/discharge cycles, my battery life got dramatically better, and sometimes Test Tools wouldn’t even be in the battery stats. BUT, it would come back sometimes.
Charlie Dryer said he had deleted his Test Tools from his Pine, with a dramatic battery life increase. I decided to do the same, and here’s how you do it!
Requires Root/Superuser. This shouldn’t affect your Pine negatively, but do so at your own risk. At the bottom of the post is the APK you’ll be deleting, if you want to put it back.
- Download / Install Root Browser from Play Store.
- Open Root Browser.
- Scroll down until you find “system” folder. Select it.
- Find “app” folder inside system folder. Select it.
- Scroll down until you find “TOOLS.APK“.
- Press and hold on TOOLS.APK until you get a pop-up that includes Delete.
- Select Delete. If Root Browser asks for SuperUser privileges, select GRANT.
- Reboot Pine, and Test Tools will no longer be trying to run on your Pine.
Here’s the backup of tools.apk, in case anyone wants it.